[kokua-dev] [impdev] All Hands Meeting Results

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Tue Jan 31 06:44:28 PST 2012

On 2012-01-31 09:33 , Armin Weatherwax wrote:
>> >  Still we would like to release a Windows
>> >  64bit version at some point to try to see if it makes a difference.
> Thats a large task. Its absolutely possible  that some of the depending
> libraries need extra work for that.
> If anyone is going for that I propose to find people who want to actively help
> from other projects, including and in special from LL.
> Some of the current code is very 32bit oriented and it would help a lot if
> work on that would rather happen in the upstream code. Since anyone would
> benefit  I think it should be no problem to find people who support such a
> project in the one or the other way.

Supporting 64 bit builds has, as you all know well, not been a priority
for us.  I don't see it becoming a substantial one very soon (but my
crystal ball is at the shop).  I don't want to start a discussion of
whether or not that's the right priorities or not; that wouldn't be
productive right now.

Contributions that make changes to directly attempt to build 64 bit
versions (such as the many changes to the build systems that would be
needed) are not likely to get much attention in the near term (I just
don't have the bandwidth, or the requisite building and testing
infrastructure).  That having been said, there is nothing at all wrong
with pointing out and providing fixes for those places in the code
(especially LL code) that will cause problems when we do make that leap
are most welcome.  If you make 64 bit support a priority, I encourage
you to make all our lives easier in the long run by contributing the
requisite code changes upstream.