[kokua-dev] simple instructions for installing sources and compiling on Windows

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 16:18:22 PDT 2013

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 16:27:59 +0200 michel denis
<michel.m.denis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Congratulations for Kokua 3.5.1 !
>
> I'd like to investigate a "Kokua for Dummies" variant of 3.5.1 or
> (preferably) 3.5.2
>
> In particular this *might* be the opportunity to finally make virtual
> worlds at-large get out of the experimental and social domains and
> enter the mainstream of enterprise/corporate use -- aren't we all
> hoping that 3DVW and Opensim become the foundations of next gen
> internet -- feedback from several enterprises is that a lighter and
> simplified viewer is required for the "very end user" (though
> builders and admins would continue to use the full Kokua)
>
> Kokua seems to be one of the most interesting foundation platforms
> for such "Viewer for Dummies" variant.
>
> Now it looks to me (and others) that instructions for installing and
> compiling sources (on Win) do not much motivate people to try playing
> with the sources etc ... but I'm pretty sure that some of you has a
> simple list of steps, like it exists with other open source software.
>
> Could you help with that ?

For Imprudence I've recently been working on making my simple to use
Linux compiler scripts work for Windows as well.  You would still have
to manually install the various dependencies.  In theory the scripts
would work with Kokua as well, but I've not tried that recently.  If I
remember the Linux scripts work fine with Kokua, but there would need
to be some changes to the rest of the Kokua build system for the
Windows variant to work.  Windows viewer builds are not set up for
purely script based builds, so that makes it hard to script them.

These are the scripts I use to make Imprudence releases.  I intend to
make matching Mac OS X build scripts as well, as soon as I have a Mac to
do development with.