[kokua-dev] linux 64 bit

Nicky Perian nickyperian at yahoo.com
Sat May 11 05:12:06 PDT 2013

There is a challenge with linux 64 bit Kokua. LL sometime back moved boost from 1.48 to 1.52. 1.52 did not play will with our colladadom library and using the colladaom library from teapot I was able to get a good build. But, this configuration had problems with run-time mesh up load. At that time to keep mesh upload 64 bit Kokua was rolled back to boost 1.48 and some customization placed in code to allow 1.48 to continue to build and have a working mesh upload.

Recently, LL pushed changes to boost that reassigned a complete section of boost to avoid conflicts with boost upgrades going forward.
 https://bitbucket.org/lindenlab/3p-boost  shows these changes.

Have built the new library but, when it is used to build a colladadom libary that library will not build because of -fPIC errors in boost.
I have tried to get a boost 1.52 to build with the -fPIC flag in play as is done here.https://bitbucket.org/kokua/3p-boost But, regardless of cxxflag placement the resulting boost statics still have the -fPIC error at link of colladadom.

colladadom will not link to the dynamic boost libraries. Boost statics are needed and need to be compiled with -fPIC.

Starting at the fourth cs back here https://bitbucket.org/NickyP/kokua-3.5.2-newbuild/commits/all are the viewer code changes LL put in place for
the changed boost. They are the ones marked MAINT-2389. As can be seen a customization back to boost 1.48 would be difficult and hackish. Windows and linux 32 bit have no problems with the boost changes.

I need some additional eyes on this one. Of specific help would be a 64 bit version of boost that has the -fPIC compile flag working.

Nicky