[kokua-dev] Path Forward

Geir Nøklebye geir.noklebye at dayturn.com
Tue Jul 25 09:02:07 PDT 2017

Nicky,

First I want to thank you for the enormous amount of effort and enthusiasm you have put into maintaining and developing the Kokua viewer.

My own contribution to it all has been small, and as I said to you a few weeks back I’d want to concentrate on the macOS version of the OpenSim version, simply because that is where I have my skills and knowledge. I don’t have the inclination to both build up skills on Linux and Windows development, nor do I have the equipment to do so (although it can mostly be done in virtual machines.)

There are few new commits from me in the KokuaOS repository on Bitbucket, but there are more or less daily commits in the dedicated macOS repository, of which many can be applied to the Windows and Linux version.

I might be in a position to take over the macOS version of Kokua for SL. I don’t see that it would be exactly Alex Ivy simply because I think LL is out on a limb with their macOS development, so it would be built differently and the codebase would increasingly drift away from the Windows version. – Which is what is happening with the macOS version.

I am torn about the RLV code, as it is very disruptive to the codebase at a time where LL piles on new functionality moving the baseline very fast.

I would say there is no need for you to keep building the macOS version for OpenSim as I built id daily from the other repository.  For the RLV version I would have to move it out to another repository to to keep it in sync with the NORLV builds.

The same can be done for the SL versions for macOS.

As you have noticed most other viewers have not received updates for along time, and the only active development is FS, Cool VL viewer and Kokua/KokuaOS.  Right now it is an enormous amount of work to keep up with LL, and even they have largely abandoned the Linux version both because of a small user base, but more so because of the challenges keeping the codebase in sync.

My macOS repository for the OpenSim version is at https://bitbucket.org/dayturn/dayturn <https://bitbucket.org/dayturn/dayturn>. There is also a JIRA at https://dayturn.atlassian.net <https://dayturn.atlassian.net/> (but I suppose it is not accessible unless by invitation.)

There are also some builds in the Download section on Bitbucket, but I don’t update it very often on purpose as many things are in flux. I have not really announced those builds anywhere.

Cheers,
Geir